Costco in Daegu!
Costco? Yes, there is a Costco in Daegu, a city about an hour and a half from Ulsan. We were excited to see what kinds of western food we could find there and stock pile it in our homes. Our pastor put together a bi-monthly Costco run into Daegu for the foreigners who are interested in getting some western imports. We took a bus full of foreigners desperate for a good ol' western block of cheese and some honey nut cheerios. There were about 12 foreigners and a few Korean friends that joined us for the trip. It was a trip planned solely for the purpose of shopping at Costco. We went straight there, ate in the cafeteria (some good hot dogs and chicken stuffed bread thingy's), shopped for about two and a half hours, and jumped on the bus and headed back to Ulsan.

The Costco in Daegu seemed quite similar to the Costco's I'd been to in Canada, but it was quite a bit different too. The layout was similar and they had lots of food samples around the grocery areas. There was a lot of Korean brand name products mixed in the with the stuff we know from home. There wasn't near as much stuff as I had thought though. There were a couple kinds of cereal, some granola and yogurt bars, some dill pickles, coffee, bagels, oreo's, pumpkin pie, bacon, peanut butter, salsa, pasta sauce, macaroni and cheese (not Kraft though), sugar cookies, tide laundry soap, cinnamon buns, some gummies and candy, dried blueberries, "goldfish", and of course . . . cheese! At least those are the things we thought to be the most important.
It was a fun trip. It was a long day though. We spent a lot of time shopping since it was our first time there. I forgot to mention I bought a winter jacket there too. It's stinkin' cold in Korea in the fall! It's unreal how cold it gets here! I found a cool jacket at Costco for 60 bucks. I think it was a good deal for a nice warm good-looking jacket. I'll need it for driving the scooter around in the cold weather. Now I just need some gloves, helmets, and a scooter. I'm doing some scooter shopping at the moment. I should be up and running soon enough. I'm itching to get one! It's a bit dangerous to drive them here, but I'll take it easy until I get the feel for the traffic here. It looks like fun. You can drive on the sidewalks with scooters though. It's fully legal here. So I may be doing a bit of that to begin with.
Anyway, that's our adventure to Costco. I'm sure we'll visit the Costco a few more times while we're here. It's also one of the largest cities in South Korea, so we'll have to go back to Daegu for the sights too!


2 Comments:
That's cool that you found a Costco. I don't know what else to say except to quote the lyrical genius of Hal Johnson and Joanne McLeod when they unanimously chime, "Stay fit and have fun!"
"I love it!" ~ Obert Smith
5:30:00 PM
It's "keep fit and have fun"... Yogger!
1:35:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home