If you can't yog it, you might as well blog it!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The scooter will have to wait


What can I say, I'm sad. I won't be riding my scooter or training in martial arts for at least 2 months. Why? let me tell you why. Because I played tackle football, that's why. Yep, I was uneasy about playing tackle football to begin with. I even suggested that we play touch football instead, but I was assured it wouldn't be too rough. And really, it wasn't.
Let me tell you the story. Myself and a bunch of other teachers here at orientation decided to go down to the field and play a little American football. A few of the guys were all into the idea of tackle football, but the rest of us weren't. Anyway, we played for about 15 minutes. After the other team scored a touchdown, I took over the QB position for our team. I made a few plays, a few passes, and a few bad passes. We had a turnover and the other team tried to advance, but we stopped them at our goal line.
Then it was our turn again. I took QB again. But this time, when the play was started, I was rushed quite quickly. Quite suddenly I had a large man wrapped around my waist, but I continued to stand up looking for a toss. At this point, 3 more guys jumped in to take me down. I went down somewhat by force and somewhat by choice. I fell easily because I didn't want to fight back and get hurt. The problem was that my leg got a bit twisted to the side as I fell. I would have only sprained my ankle if it wasn't for the 250 pound man, followed by a few 150 pound guys, that fell on my leg afterward. As I was falling I had a split second to come to the conclusion that this was going to be bad news. For that short second I waited for the cracking sound of my fibula as it was squished by about 400-500 pounds of man flesh. I knew instantly that it was broken. I pulled out my foot and could feel it swinging loosely. It swelled up like a balloon quite quickly and I was helped off the field. It took about 10 minutes for a car to pick me up and another 20 minutes to get me to a hospital. I tied my other sock around my ankle to keep some pressure on it. At this point, it didn't hurt. In fact, it hasn't been very painful so far, just annoying. Although, it is getting progressively more sore lately.
So I got to the hospital and had some X-rays taken.
I got to see the X-rays immediately afterward and saw that my fibula was cracked and split in two places. One was a hairline fracture and the other was nearly through the bone but didn't break clean off. I was almost certain that I hadn't torn any ligaments since it didn't hurt to much, and luckly that was the case. I only had a sprain to the ligament. So they put a half cast on my leg and wrapped it with a tensor bandage. (a half cast is like a hard mould for the back and bottom of my leg and foot and it is open at the front side, then it is wrapped in tensor bandages). In about 2 weeks, when the swelling subsides, it will be replaced with a full cast.
By the way, two english speaking Korean guys were very good to me and took me to the hospital.
I found out that my program has insurance to cover injuries while in transition to our workplace. So that is good news. Not all of it will be covered but most of it will be.
So I am thankful to God that it is not a serious injury and I don't need any surgery. I didn't tear a ligament and for that I am grateful. Bones heal much faster than muscles.
But it is going to be a challenge for the next 8 weeks. I don't teach my first class for another 2 weeks, so by then I may have a full cast and may be able to walk on it or put some pressure on it. Anyway, it is annoying, but I am grateful that it will be okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger hotrodent said...

I'm glad to hear that you are okay. Kyle told me a little about what happened. Gwen and I will be praying for you as you prepare for the start of classes.

8:21:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home